To the North Arkansas District Family,
As most of you know, Dr. Randy and Debbie Berkner will be transitioning into a new season of ministry as they retire this fall. We have truly appreciated the visionary leadership and pastoral guidance they have given to us during their tenure. We pray for all God's best as they find new avenues of service.
Our leaders are taking steps that will help us find the district superintendent God has for our district. Throughout this process, we want to be sure to keep our family "in the loop" as everything is unfolding. Because we value your input, concerns, and questions we are putting all the information that you would ever need about this transition on this website page. Below you will find an abundance of information including what you can specifically be praying for during this transition, the process that this transition will follow with a timeline of events, a letter from Dr. Carla Sunberg, our jurisdictional general superintendent, and a link to a page in which you can nominate someone who you believe is a quality candidate for the North Arkansas District Superintendent position. The input of local pastors and church members will be vital as Dr. Sunberg prayerfully considers who to appoint as our new DS. At the bottom of this page, you can find links to the letters from our District Advisory Council that provided the information for this page, along with any other links or documents that are mentioned.
After our district assembly, the District Advisory Council (DAC) met with Dr. Carla Sunberg (our jurisdictional general superintendent) to establish the process of selecting our new leader. Dr. Sunberg, Dr. Robert Broadbooks (Director of the USA/Canada Region), and the DAC will now be working through the process over the next few months.
In the next few days, the DAC will be communicating what this process looks like and how you can participate. For now, however, we want to call our district to prayer and fasting. We challenge all pastors to lead their congregations in this effort. We encourage each to set aside a special time during each gathering (worship, Bible study, Sunday School class, fellowship, etc.) to focus on prayer for the following:
1) Pray for the leadership directly involved in this search process and everyone involved in identifying the characteristics and attributes our district most needs.
2) Pray for the District Superintendent God is preparing for this position and that he or she will continually seek God’s direction and paths for the future of the North Arkansas Church of the Nazarene.
3) Pray for the Berkners as they move into God’s new work for them. Ask the Lord to wrap His mighty arms around them so that they might feel His love and care.
Thank you for all your efforts to seek God’s way for the North Arkansas District during this critical time. God is ready to answer when we seek Him and His way with sincere hearts.
"You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart." --Jeremiah 29:13
We created 2 assessment tools that we will use to create a “district profile.” The first was an online survey that we invited each pastor and church member on the district to participate in.
The second assessment tool was a church board focus group. We asked pastors to hold a focus group during their August board meeting to gather opinions and thoughts about the health of our district.
The purpose of the survey and focus groups was two-fold:
1) We wanted to assess our district’s strengths and weaknesses. We hoped to build on our strengths and correctly identify weaknesses to which we can give purposeful and strategic energy.
2) We wanted a clear picture of the kind of leader and skill-set we need. The information we gleaned from your participation helped us create a leadership profile. The profile targets personal qualities and professional competencies that best address the needs of our district. You can find the leadership profile here.
Once the leadership profile was created, anyone was able to make nominations. We opted for an "open nomination" process to cast as wide a net as possible so that we could then prayerfully consider all qualified persons. We closed nominations on September 20. The DAC will now meet to review nominations and select a small pool of candidates.
In consultation with Dr. Sunberg and Dr. Broadbooks, a group of finalists will be interviewed by the DAC. After the completion of interviews, the DAC will rank the finalists and Dr. Sunberg will prayerfully appoint our next DS from this list.
If you have any questions, you can contact Mark Snodgrass, our DAC secretary, at firstname.lastname@example.org. We believe God has the right person for our district and will make that clear to us in His time. Please keep this entire journey at the forefront of your prayers.
North Arkansas DAC
DAC Call to Prayer Letter
DAC Process and Survey Announcement Letter
Dr. Sunberg Letter
Focus Group Worksheet